Friday, May 30, 2008

Life...

I had an epiphany. The worst thing about it was that it happened when I was just about to fall asleep. Ever since, its been bugging me so much I have to type it out and share it with friends and strangers alike. Here goes...

My brother is on a 1 month trip to KL to get his Visa sorted out and visit some of my relatives. My first thought was, FREEDOM. Finally, I could do what I wanted, drive myself to school and basically think for myself. Gone were the days where I had to wait for my bro to pick me up from school. Admittedly, he wasn't always late, but it really annoyed me when he was.

As any normal siblings, we'd often have petty squabbles. Sometime they could last for days. I'm not the aggressive type and I'd constantly be at a loss for witty comebacks. Sometimes I would get so pissed off I would vow never to speak to him again. That obviously never worked.

Back to my realization of Great Truth. I always thought that life after Abiel (my brother) would be really really sweet. No one to criticize me or rat me out. Life, as it were. would be quite enjoyable. However, I found that it was rather lonely without someone bursting into your room or hitting you for no apparent reason. That is when I realized, life from then on would never be the same again. Gone were the days when we could just fool around. We were making the transition into adulthood, and thus the stage was set for the brutal game called Life.

Nothing would ever be the same again. Once we leave our home to pursue our studies overseas, we won't know when we'll be able to meet again. It would be the last time we'd ever feel at home - at home. It's a really complicated feeling you get. You're familiar with your house and you know that this is your house yet you feel kinda detached from it, like you're just some guest in a hotel room you always stay in on business trips.

Then there's keeping in touch. I know there's Skype and what not but there definitely would be gaps in communications. I wouldn't say we're really close but me and my bro have this kindred understanding to 'chot' the shit out of random people, thus the mutual hatred we share for numerous things. Who knows whether we'd still share that interest 5 years down the line.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm finally growing up. After all those years as a kid, wishing I could grow up faster, I really wish that I could relive my high school years, especially Senior 1. Somehow, I found that particular year to be a really really good year. I wished I could have known everyone in school better, I wished I could have known my bro better, I wished I could have gotten to know my parents better. All I can pray for is that I can make-up for all those years taken for granted and get to spend more time with my family....

So, to those who are still in KK, cherish the time you have with your family. Friends are still important, but family comes first. After all, blood is always thicker than water.

No comments: